Contact person: Thomas Echterhof
Areas of research
Apart from the preparation of energy and mass balances, especially for the electric steelmaking process but also for other energy intensive high temperature processes, the research group is also active in process optimization and process development. For the preparation of balances and also for the development of process control strategies the group relies on long-time experience with the installation and operation of off gas analysis systems at industrial high temperatures aggregates like the electric arc furnace. In addition empirical and analytical modeling as well as simulations based on Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) are used. Furthermore, the research group operates at the Herzogenrath site an electric arc furnace in pilot plant scale. Goal of the work in this area is usually the improvement of energy and resource efficiency.
In the area of environmental technology the implementation of off gas measurements at dedusting plants serves the determintation of environmentally relevant mass flows (e.g. NOx, CO2, etc). Apart from determining the current state, fundamentals of their formation are investigated and process control strategies to reduce or avoid environmentally relevant emissions are developed and investigated in pilot scale as well as industrially.
Another important area is the research into the substitution of fossil carbon sources by biomass e.g. in the electric steelmaking process. Here again the investigations are conducted at laboratory and pilot-scale as well as in cooperation with industry at industrial plants.
The research has number of heat treatment furnaces at her disposal to conduct heat treatment and sintering trials in a big temperature range (1600°C max) and under different atmospheres.
Ongoing research projects
Development of process models for the dedusting plants of electric arc furnaces
Completed research projects
- On-line slag composition analysis for electric arc furnaces – OSCANEAF (EU RFCS)
- Biochar for a sustainable EAF steel production – GREENEAF2 (EU RFCS)
- Valorisation and dissemination of EAF technology – VALEAF (EU RFCS)
- Development of agglomerates from ladle slag and biochar for the use in electric steelmaking (AiF ZIM)
- MegaCarbon – Resource efficient and highly productive manufacturing of carbon fibre for a wide range of application (Ziel 2 NRW EFRE)
- Development of a modular retrofit and energy efficient vessel technology for electric arc furnaces (AiF ZIM)
- Sustainable EAF steel production – GreenEAF (EU RFCS)
- Increasing the energy and resource efficiency of electric steelmaking through holistic, quality guided production control – ENRECO2 (BMWi)
- Control of Nitrogen Oxide Emission at the Electric Arc Furnace – CONOX (EU RFCS)
- Improved EAF process Control using On-line Offgas Analysis – OFFGAS (EU RFCS)
- Fundamental investigation into the formation of nitrogen oxides in the electric arc furnace (DFG)
- Development of operating conditions to improve chemical energy yield and performance of dedusting in airtight EAF (EU ECSC)