Department for Industrial Furnaces and Heat Engineering
The Department for Industrial Furnaces and Heat Engineering at RWTH Aachen University is an internationally recognised research department with the mission to optimise processes and plants in the fields of manufacturing, processing and recycling of iron and steel, non-ferrous metals, glass and ceramics.
Under the direction of Professor Dr.-Ing. Herbert Pfeifer and supported by numerous student research assistants the research staff works in five research groups on current topics of industrial furnaces and heat engineering. The team is completed by staff in the technical and administrative field, working in the department‘s administration and mechanical as well as electrical workshop.
We are happy to support you in solving problems through contract research, service or consulting. We are familiar with numerous research funding programmes and are happy to prepare a research proposal together with you. Our extensive know-how and equipment allows us to cover almost all areas of industrial furnace technology and thermal engineering.
Aachener Ofenbau- und Thermoprozess-Kolloquium – AOTK
The Aachener Ofenbau- und Thermoprozess-Kolloquium was held for the first time on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the foundation of the Department for Industrial Furnaces and Heat Engineering (IOB) at RWTH Aachen University on 11 and 12 May 2017 in Aachen. In the following, the German-speaking Aachener Ofenbau- und Thermoprozess-Kolloquium will take place every two years.
The next Aachener Ofenbau- und Thermoprozess-Kolloquium will take place on 17 and 18 October 2023. Further information on the colloquium can be found at www.aotk.rwth-aachen.de.
European Academic Symposium on EAF Steelmaking – EASES
The European Academic Symposium on EAF Steelmaking was held for the first time in 2015 and is aimed primarily at doctoral students and young scientists researching and developing in the field of electric steelmaking. The next symposium wil take place on 05 — 07 June 2023 at the University of Oulu in Oulu, Finland. For more information on future and previous EASES symposia, please visit www.eases.rwth-aachen.de.
RWTH Aachen University and our affiliated institute OWI
- RWTH Aachen University
- Faculty of Georesources and Materials Engineering
- Division of Materials Science and Engineering
- OWI Science for Fuels gGmbH
- A.SPIRE association – partner in the Processes4Planet (P4Planet) Partnership in the Horizon Europe framework programme
- AMAP Advanced Metals and Processes – Open Innovation Research Cluster
- Center for Sustainable Hydrogen Systems
- Cluster Dekarbonisierung der Industrie (CDI)
- ERCOFTAC European Research Community On Flow, Turbulence and Combustion
- European Steel Technology Platform (ESTEP)
- Forschungsgemeinschaft Industrieofenbau e. V.
- International Flame Research Foundation – IFRF
- BTU Cottbus, Lehrstuhl Konstruktion und Fertigung
- KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Department for Materials Science and Engineering, Stockholm, Sweden
- Leibniz Universität Hannover, Institut für Elektroprozesstechnik
- Otto-von-Guericke-Universität Magdeburg, Lehrstuhls für Thermodynamik und Verbrennung
- Politecnico di Milano, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Italy
- TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Gas- und Wärmetechnische Anlagen
- TU Darmstadt, Zentrum für Konstruktionswerkstoffe
- University of Oulu, Laboratory of Process Metallurgy, Finland
- as well as numerous industrial companies from the fields of industrial furnace construction, plant construction, steel and non-ferrous metal production
History of the department
|1938||Lectureship for Industrial Furnace Construction|
|1948||Chair of Industrial Plants and Industrial Furnace Construction|
|April 1957||Foundation of the Chair of Industrial Furnace Science
Associate Professor H. Schiedeßen
|1960||Foundation of the Institute for Industrial Furnace Construction and Heat Engineering in Metallurgy
Professor H. Schiedeßen
|1967||Lectureship in Industrial Furnace Construction and Heat Engineering in Metallurgy|
|1971||Lectureship in Energy and Mass Transport|
|1971||Retirement of Professor H. Schwiedeßen|
|1971–1976||Substitute Professor Dr.-Ing. Günther Woelk|
|1976||New appointment of Professor Dr.-Ing. Herbert Wilhelmi to the chair|
|1996||Retirement of Professor Dr.-Ing. Herbert Wilhelmi|
|1996||Renaming of the chair to High Temperature Technology|
|11/1996–03/1998||Substitute Professor Dr.-Ing. Heinrich Köhne|
|04/1998||New appointment of Professor Dr.-Ing. Herbert Pfeifer to the chair|
|2004||Groundbreaking for the building of the IOB’s new technical centre|
|2007||50th anniversary celebration|
|2009 — 2010||Construction of the Institutes new building in the Kopernikusstr. 10 with an additional technical centre|
|2017||60th anniversary celebration|